Wednesday, November 28, 2012

THANKSGIVING 2012: BEING THANKFUL FOR BLOGGING STUDENTS

HALLELUJAH'S TURKEY.  For me, Thanksgiving begins with feasting on a gorgeous sumptuous turkey. I am thankful to the TURKEY that feeds me on this great celebration! (art by Hallelujah Truth)

Dear FELLOW SOJOURNERS in LIFE'S FANTASTIC MYSTERIES!  I have been contemplating the BLESSINGS in my JOURNEY for the past week. What stays present in my mind right now is the new BLOGGING CLASS I have been teaching this session at the Georgia Tech Language Institute.


BLOGGING CLASS 2012. A class of 16 students willing to "jump in" and "take risks" exploring their missions in life and expressing those ideas in words and images on their newly minted blogs. (photo by unknown Language Institute student)
As a seasoned teacher, I have taught many writing classes in the last 30 years of my teaching career. This blogging class, however, has been the first time that I have seen so many of my students emerge quickly from the COCOON of SELF. It is as if each and every one of them has been waiting for this moment to metamorphosize. 
DEFINING VOICE.  In one class exercise, I have students color an image, listen to music, smell the scent of a candle, and contemplate themselves. We then look at visual representations of different "voices" coming out of people's mouths. I ask my blogging students to contemplate their own "voices." What makes your VOICE UNIQUE? What does it look like? Draw it! (photo by Hallelujah Truth)

This metamorphosis has occurred in the form of establishing a theme-based blog that is driven by their purpose in life. Although they have cooperated spectacularly in writing teacher directed blog posts intended to teach them certain blogging skills and approaches to sustainable writing, they have also been self-directed. 

I am DEEPLY THANKFUL for the BEAUTY of these students' SOULS as expressed in their work for me, or more importantly--THE WORK THEY ARE DOING FOR THEMSELVES. I have seen distinctive "voices" flow from them in the abundance of their blog posts! I have never been so DELIGHTED with my writing students! I am truly GRATEFUL.

Hallelujah for CREATIVITY. Hallelujah for having a purpose or mission in LIFE. I proclaim that BLOGGING is BECOMING!

What are you thankful for today? How is your CREATIVITY emerging? What is your purpose in life and how do you express it?

GETTING READY FOR THE THANKSGIVING BLOG POST. Blogging is Becoming, and there are many ways to be ready to blog frequently and meaningfully. Writing begins in the HEART and SOUL of the BLOGGER. Listening to music, making art, dancing, playing, and blogstorming are ways to mention only a few. I have found that I stimulate my students by adding the dimensionality of art to their writing. Blogging is a visual medium and using images well is just as important as using words expertly! Here I brought in my turkey making project that I have used in recent years with different populations. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
ADDITIONAL THANKS: I am so thankful for the supportive people in my life--you know who you are. I am thankful to all of those I am connected with and who LOVE THE MYSTERY. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, teacher, your turkey looks like a peacock! Very gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete