Monday, April 15, 2013

ART MAKING: THROUGH THE PROCESS OF CREATING, WE LEARN TO KNOW OURSELVES

SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH. Dear Pilgrims! Where do we begin if we want to find the TRUTH that resides in our selves? In this image, I am holding the book of TRUTH (Yes, I AM the rabbit in the polka-dotted swimsuit!). As an artist, I have made the intangible, tangible in this drawing. (art by Hallelujah Truth)

Part of THE DAILY CREATIVE PRACTICE for me is to begin something. To get started by putting pen to paper. All that follows is up for grabs--revision, completion, celebration, elaboration, interpretation.... But I can't do any of those acts without BEGINNING!
IN THE BEGINNING IS THE DRAWING. Repetitive in theme, size of paper, and micron pen. Discovery? Holding the book of TRUTH! (art by Hallelujah Truth)


Last summer (2012) , AUSTIN KLEON's book, Steal Like an Artist, was published, and he enlightened us about "10 things nobody told you about being creative." Here  is how chapter 2 (Don’t Wait Until You Know Who You Are To Get Started) begins:
“If I’d waited to know who I was or what I was about before I started ‘being creative,’ well I’d be sitting around trying to figure myself out instead of making things. In my experience, it’s in the act of making things an doing our work that we figure out who we are.”
“You’re ready. Start making stuff.”
PLAYING WITH PHOTOSHOP. I am convinced that it is through the process of creating or doing that we get to know ourselves. Now, a part of my process is seeing what happens when I "wash" my image in photoshop. I can invert the color, posterize the image, and a whole lot more. The process of playing with my image in photoshop helps me think about new ways to draw and use color for the original image. (art by Hallelujah Truth)
How about you fellow pilgrim? How do you find the TRUTH of yourself? What action will you take today to discover who you are? What creative process can you engage in and SOUL BLOG with me about!
That's Coffee with Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment