Tuesday, April 2, 2013

ART WITHOUT MANUALS: Reading your own heart!


THE HEART OF THE UNKNOWABLE. I journey to the unknown because it is a way of life, of breathing and being present to the ever changing moment. THE DAILY PRACTICE teaches me ever so gently to remember to breathe and live. (Art by Hallelujah Truth, aka Ruth Schowalter)
Hallelujah for our IMAGINATIONS! It is through our beautiful brain's imagining that we CREATE something out of "nothing." The magic is in the "nothing"! That nothing consists of our neurons that have developed elaborate pathways based on our life experiences! Such individual constructs allow us to process the world out beyond us differently and uniquely! All of what we SEE is fodder for our ART! Meat for our SOULS! Hallelujah!

Let's acknowledge education, the "manuals" for how-to-do-something-perfectly, as having value and then decide to set them aside to BE whatever THE DAILY CREATIVE PRACTICE has brought for us to consider. We can always return to the "manuals" but not to the moment of who we are right now! Fix yourself in your drawing or writing now. Correct later if that is what you want! 

THE DAILY CREATIVE PRACTICE is about YOU--perhaps--in the raw!

Clarrisa Pinkola Estes in The Creative Fire, Myths and Stories on the Cycles of Creativity says this about manuals:

"The main struggle that people have with creativity is that they stop themselves from doing what comes naturally. In a culture such as ours where the simple is often suspect, and the rustic is looked upon as not sophisticated enough, where things that are lively are down played so as not to be perhaps too curative or astonishing.  Too often our deepest knowings about how to construct our own creative life, how to follow the impusles and the broadcasts that we feel deep inside of ourselves all of these have been replaced by manuals."
WE ARE NOT ALONE ON OUR JOURNEY. Considering all the parts of our psyche, we have multiple companions as we sit at our table drawing or computers writing! Then we have the community of like-minded souls who are on parallel journeys and can share their creative meanderings with us. Let's share THE DAILY CREATIVE PRACTICE here. (Art by Hallelujah Truth, aka Ruth Schowalter)

METAPHOR OF LOVE.  (Art by Hallelujah Truth, aka Ruth Schowalter)


METAPHOR OF MOTHER.  (Art by Hallelujah Truth, aka Ruth Schowalter)
I embrace the "rustic" aspects of my art in order to SEE who I am. I prefer the lack of polish and welcome the characters of my imagination who pop up with persistence in my daily drawings. 

Dear Pilgrim! What is your deepest knowing that longs to be expressed? Is it possible for you to step aside the high expectations of our culture and to step into your own knowing? 

Soul Blog with me at Coffee with Hallelujah or share your ideas with THE DAILY CREATIVE PRACTICE on Facebook, here

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Ruth,

    I love the vibrant colors in your art work.What medium do you use to get them, and can you help me out with a good writing utensil to use on watercolor paper after it has been painted on.I have hundreds of dollars of various markers and pens and all of them clog up immediately when I try to use them unless they have a felt tip such as a sharpie marker and even the fine tips ones clog on me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Darlene! Thank you so much for writing me here on my blog, where I welcome like minded souls! The artwork you see here on this particularly blog entry is photoshopped! I scan an image drawn in micron pens on white paper and then fill in color. After that I transform it in another part of photoshop, making it a cutout or posterized--something like that.

    I know what you mean about searching for that pen or paint that will give your work intensity. When I have watercolored something, I use micron pens to draw on top if the paint surface isn't too thick. Then I also use gouache and acrylics!

    Great questions. I have the same! Please visit again if you find any solutions and I will do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth for the help with pens and where your vibrant colors come from...I am computer illiterate and already spend way too much time trying to figure out 'stuff' so do not want to tackle another medium now...but I so love your work and feel so inadequate after looking at the various artist work on your new FB page...but I am also inspired to do more and better.

      Delete
  3. Darlene! Thank you again for such warm compliments! I am admirer of your work too. I don't know if it is possible for you to suspend judgment and just enjoy seeing other people's work without diminishing your own. I find it difficult sometimes to engage with other people's work with curiosity only. But I think it is a useful kind practice that keeps the creativity flowing!

    ReplyDelete