Wednesday, August 20, 2014

WCAGA DRAW 4 DAYS (Day #3): My subconscious goes bigger through support of fellow artists

HALLELUJAH MAKES IT ON A CANVAS SURFACE. Painting in close proximity with Callahan Pope McDonough means thinking in new ways. Her flury of artmaking is contagious and her generosity for sharing knowledge boundless. She has provided me with new surfaces on which to make my art. Here is the first piece I have ever painted on canvas, a substrate I have avoided because of my own proclivities. (art by Hallelujah Truth)
Hallelujah for continuity of creative practice. Hallelujah for journeying with like minded pilgrims supporting one another in their art making!

WCAGA's "Draw 4 Days" is proving to be a miracle in creative practice for me. How delightful it is to be in the company of kind, energetic, and idiosyncratic artists. Women making art in the communal space at Further Polycontemporary Gallery on Bennett Street in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, is nothing short of a brilliant meteor shower with the accompanying "ooooohs" and "ahhhhhs"!

My second day was filled with the joyful ease of a cat napping in close proximity of other cats! As I must depart soon for the third marathon day of drawing, I will post photos here and write some descriptive captions so you might share in my catnapping joy! 
MORNING OF DRAW 4 DAYS, August 19, 2014. Day #2 of Draw 4 Days begins with posting the event more widely to ensure the public knows they are welcome to journey inside the Further Polycontemporary Gallery, where we are conducting our marathon. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
MORNING WORK ON DAY#2.  (photos by Hallelujah Truth)


An important moment for me was when Paul Light Jr. took time to talk with me about the images I had made during Day #1 of "Draw 4 Days." He was drawn to my art, asked questions, and went deep into discussion with me. Since I am an artist who works at home and primarily shares my work here on my blog, "Coffee with Hallelujah," it was very meaningful to have another artist connect with me, asking me wonderful questions about the "where" and "what" of my work. Then, the best part? Paul wanted to show me his work in the studio across from the Further Polycontemporary Gallery. Wow!
PAUL LIGHT JR AND HIS WORK. Paul felt there were similarities between my work and his. It was a new way of seeing my images in relation to another artist. The connection is more through ideas and emotions. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
What a thrill! Artists, visitors, and children kept asking me the "what" of my art. Barbara Rehg, the organizer for "Draw 4 Days," asked me to write down the influences behind my images. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that I have elaborated on this topic for years and developed a "Cosomology of Hallelujah Truth," guide. I decided to make a new one today. Here it is for your viewing pleasure!

GUIDE TO THE COSMOS OF HALLELUJAH.  (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
Another layer added to my day during "Draw 4 Days" was how Callahan showed me to use a varnish on the surface of my watercolor on canvas. She shared her media and time with me.  Being mentored unexpectedly during this drawing marathon has been such a huge surprise. Thank you Callahan, you are supporting profound change in me as an artist!
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIEND. Callahan graciously assisted me in my creative journey. Lots of love here. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
GOD BLESS THE CHILDREN. One of the most things about "Draw 4 Days"? The visitors in the form of these art drawing children! I had the most delightful exchange with the boy. He has a notebook of his dragon drawings, which he showed me proudly. He asked me about my drawings with Wandjina, whom he referred to as an alien.  I said he was a part of me. He talked about his dragon and knight being a part of him so I asked him what that image would look like combined. He answered with a drawing of a dragon in shining armor! How fun is that! Humans interacting in meaningful ways. Art and social interaction equals change. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
MY WALL OF ART END OF DAY #2. (photo  and art by Hallelujah Truth)
ART MAKING NEIGHBORS DURING "DRAW 4 DAYS."  (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
That's Coffee with Hallelujah! SOUL BLOG with me. Tell me what you are doing to support your creative practice. What is your creative community like? Who are you compatriots when making your art?

No comments:

Post a Comment