Thursday, August 21, 2014

WCAGA DRAW 4 DAYS (Day #4): Reflecting on social connections while creating in community

FINDING OUT WHAT DRAWING CAN BE. During "Draw 4 Days," I have been influenced, impacted, smacked with BIG LOVE from other artists! Hallelujah! What is drawing? Well, well, well.... (art by Hallelujah Truth)
Hallelujah for OTHERS! Hallelujah for WCAGA developing a communal place for artists to create and to have sincere interactions with one another and visitors outside the studio.
WE WANT VISITORS. Our event, "Draw 4 Days," is open to everyone. Please come see us. Draw on our chalkboard, floor, or your own notebook. Chat, look, and discover for yourself what drawing can be. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
Today, August 21, 2014, begins the last day of drawing for WCAGA's "Draw 4 Days." Be sure to attend our opening at the Further Polycontemporary tomorrow night between 6:00pm and 8:00pm. I promise you will have a good time and a visual treat!

So far the communal drawing experience has been delightful, intense, and life altering--in just 4 days (including Sunday, the prep day). What will today bring? Ha, ha, ho, ho, ho! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I would like to reflect on yesterday's IMMENSITY!

MY CORNER OF THE GALLERY. At the far right are my images and my precious work table. This event is the first time ever that I have drawn with other artists. The experience has been thrilling! Good fortune located me right next to my friend Callahan Pope McDonough and two women, Marie Weaver and Kate Landishaw, whom I have become better acquainted with. In fact, we feel so special we have dubbed our corner of the gallery, "Glitter Corner." (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
DELIGHT RESULTING FROM EXCHANGES
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Look at the far back of this photo where Barbara Rehg and Kate Colpitts are discussing Barb's piece. As the wife of a geologist (my wonderful Chiboogamoo, aka Tony Martin), I have looked at so many rock outcrops and listened to geologists interpret the Earth's machinations while staring at the rock surface for long periods. How wonderful to see this behavior of curiosity and exploration replicated in my life in the Further Polycontemporary Gallery with WCAGA members and their work in progress. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
WORKING IN CLOSE PROXIMITY. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
ALLOWS FOR GENTLE LOOKS AND WORDS. Spending lengths of time creating art next to one another over days, gives everyone a chance to slowly interact in supportive ways. (art by Hallelujah Truth)
THINKING DIFFERENTLY. During "Draw 4 Days," artists have asked me about my cast of characters. Would I like them to move? To tell a story? And my characters (a reflection of parts of myself) have started jumping up and down with excitement. They want to know how to "play" with lines. They want to know what drawing is and if it is possible to BE MORE or BE SOMETHING ELSE through exploration of line.  (art by Hallelujah Truth)
LIFE-ALTERING TALKS
Over the course of three days, I have intermingled with the OTHERS--something new for me in relation to my art making, which has been a private process for me. I broadcast my images on this blog, Coffee With Hallelujah, but I haven't been open to talking about my work at its CORE. That is, if the discussion meant someone telling me to change what I am doing.

These women DO NOT TELL YOU WHAT TO DO; instead, they ask gentle questions like these:

Where do you want your work to go?
Can you see your work going big?
What would that mean for you?
How about randomly selecting 10 of your images, organizing them, and writing a story?
What about a book of images?
What about animation?
What do you know about the project Living Walls?
 
WISE WOMAN MAGGIE DAVIS. I know that Maggie would not really want to be called a "wise woman," but I just have to call her that! This fascinating artist has cultivated wisdom and knows how to gently share it--subtle like her painting. We don't have to limit ourselves with definitions anymore she said to me. Art? Artist? Genre of painting? (photo by Hallelujah Truth)

Then there is the amazing Callahan Pope McDonough. She brings me canvas, archival paper, and asks what else I need. She opens her entire supply of media to me. And when I ask for feedback about a piece of mine, she looks me squarely in the eyes and replies, "So you want me to tell you what I would do?" clarifying my question. RESPECT!
CALLAHAN AND BILL (photo by Hallelujah Truth)

These kinds of interactions feel important to me, life altering in ways so profound I can't express the HOW of the CHANGE right now. I feel energized and validated. How WOW-ZA is that!?
INTENSE EXPERIENCE
INTENSITY OF WORKING IN PUBLIC. In InterPlay, an artform I'm training to be a leader in, we have lots of useful ideas. For instance, "Change your life, change your practice." Well drawing in public and having these kind of deep talks with other artists is a VERY BIG CHANGE for me. And it feels life-changing. Another InterPlay expression is "Easy focus." Although I have some concerns about being criticized or judged while I am in the process of drawing my figures, I decide to shift my focus, releasing my worries to the larger universe.  (photo by WCAGA Member)
WORK IN PROGRESS.  (art by Hallelujah Truth)
That's Coffee with Hallelujah! SOUL BLOG with me! How might you connect with community in support of your creativity? I hope that you have gained something from being part of my creative community by reading this blog entry today.

5 comments:

  1. Oooooh I so love this post and your work - I hope one day I can be a part of the Draw 4 days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine I'm so happy that you and your hubby Joe made it to the opening reception last night for this event. I am glad that you are thinking about deepening your commitment to making marks by participating in a future drawing marathon or joining WCAGA.

      Delete
  2. Ruth so really have loved having this experience with you and the amazing women artists of WCA Ga. I am in awe of what we co-created in 4 days of art making and 3 days prep. I am grateful you have documented this event for yourself and us, that you are a terrific blogger, and artist, but best of all a loving friend. Today's celebration is well earned for us all. Lastly, I want to acknowledge Barbara Rehg for her vision in creating the monthly drawing marathons which we held in our studios over the past couple years, Barbara, you are a mover n'shaker, the 'creatrix' of"
    Draw 4 Days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Callahan! You are so right! I second everything you said above!

      Delete
  3. hey Christine, would love for you to join us, WCA Ga.

    ReplyDelete