Sunday, December 2, 2012

#REVERB12 (Day 2): Reflecting on the most significant expenditure--feline family members!!


#Reverb12:Day 2 Blogging Prompt--

What was your most significant expenditure in 2012? It doesn't have to be necessarily the biggest expenditure, just the one with the most impact. What difference has it made to your life?


Dear PILGRIMS! I struggled with my answer to this question about biggest  2012 expenditure with significant impact. I have the good fortune to travel throughout the year, and I thought I might select my trip to the United Kingdom or the one to Newfoundland as being important since JOURNEYING to different places profoundly affects our pedestrian lives. Experiencing life beyond cultural and geographical boundaries is life altering. Yet, I chose something else....
2012 WELCOMED NEW FELINE FAMILY MEMBERS. Introducing Sapelo (left) and Tao.  These felines are reclining on the bench where I sit and work at the table making my art. They keep me company by sitting right up next to me. Such remarkable companionship! (photo by Hallelujah Truth at a break from artmaking)
The addition of our two feline family members, Tao and Sapelo, in the past year have been a huge financial expense with profuse and rewarding results.
Last November, my Chiboogamoo and I lost our 17-year-old Siamese feline family member, Misha, and his death crushed our hearts and we sorrowed over his departure (You can read about his life with us here).

Tao, came into our lives in December 2011, after finals concluded at the Language Institute at Georgia Tech, and I found him posted for adoption on Craig's List. He was a four-month old Siamese being nurtured in Peachtree City! When my darling Chiboogamoo asked me what I wanted for our anniversary (December 18), I responded this kitty named Tao, who needed rescuing!

INTRODUCING TAO. Tao's rescue only cost 50 dollars and our wonderful veterinarian clinic here in Decatur didn't charge anything for his first visit, but he had a respiratory infection and subsequent visits cost big dollars for medications. Then he needed to be neutered at five months, and the bills stacked up. We said "ouch," but fell completely in love with this loving, sweet feline.(photo by Chiboogamoo)
TAO, COMPUTER ASSISTANT.  Tao quickly integrated himself into our daily lives. Where we were, so was he! We became the recipients of his adoring attention and entertaining cat-antics! Just look at that mischievous face!(photo by Hallelujah Truth)

As the days progressed, friends urged us to get Tao a feline sibling. Another quadruped who would keep him company while we were gone at work, one who would create mischief with him. I had already started looking on-line every night to find another Siamese rescue, but had failed to find a female around Tao's age. I know some of you might ask why not just any domestic cat? I love the expressiveness of Siamese and they by far are one of the most companionable sorts of cats! 

In my internet searches for a female Siamese, I had come across a cattery--yes a breeder of Siamese cats, Kittentanz. I had even contacted the owner, Michelle Harrison, and we had talked about my getting a retired queen or stud at the price I could afford. I was determined to get a kitten, one that would grow up with Tao.

Time passed. And I could not find the "right" feline family member I was looking for. Until I happened on Michelle's discounted kittens, ones that were young, 6 months, but getting too old to sell at maximum price. I FOUND a soulful-eyed female Tonkinese, one that was not being purchased because she had a genetic kink in her tail!

INTRODUCING SAPELO. This shy little girl entered our lives and hearts--especially Tao's. He adores Sapelo! It seems strange that a small genetic defect would prevent people from bringing this sensitive friendly feline into their homes. (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
MISS KINKY TAIL. You can see the kink in Sapelo's tail here. At night, when the cats join us to snuggle, we can always identify which one is Sapelo because of this genetic kink. One her nicknames is Miss Kinky Tail, which offers her all kinds of opportunities to be herself! (photo by Hallelujah Truth)
My Dear Chiboogamoo and I got Sapelo from Kittentanz around Valentine's Day 2012. We named her Sapelo after one of Georgia's barrier islands, where we have spent a significant amount time for Chiboogamoo's authoring of his book, Life Traces of the Georgia Coast. Her "release" from Michelle's cattery was not cheap, but again, the expense has been worth the JOY that this dear little female Tonkinese has brought to our home.

We are a family now. Tao, Sapelo, Chiboogamoo, and I. We have paid for boarding at Camp Kitty when we travel. This is a big expense, but we want our cat children to be safe while we are gone. These feline family members have healed our hearts over the loss of Misha. And...they have made us laugh innumerable times. They give us love, warmth, meows. They break porcelain housed on top of the fridge, and knock books of tops of shelves. They escape into the great outdoors and make us hunt them down. They play and leap and chase toys. And one of the most wonderful things? When we come home from work, they gallop to the front door to great us, and we revel in each other's presence!

Hallelujah for the expense of our cat babies, Tao and Sapelo! We can mourn the loss of a beloved feline member, and at the same time go on to love new cat SOULS! That's Coffee with Hallelujah! What significant expense have you had in your life that made an important impact on you? SOUL BLOG with Hallelujah! Let me know!
ART ASSISTANT. Tao has many talents. Among them, the ability to make me stop from my ferocious art making and listen to him. "Play" he says. "Pet me." I welcome the opportunity to be with him! (photo by Chiboogamoo)
IN THE BEGINNING. Tao lacked some welcoming skills initially.(photo by Hallelujah Truth)
INVESTIGATING THE WARM DRYER. (photo by Chiboogamoo)
 
BIRD WATCHING.  Yes, our babies are indoor cats. And bird TV is one of their favorite activities.(photo by Chiboogamoo)

LIFE AT THE HOUSEHOLD OF TAO, SAPELO, CHIBOOGAMOO, AND HALLELUJAH. We are all smiling! Worth the dollar expense! (photo by Hallelujah Truth)

THANKS TO KAT MCNALLY for HOSTING REVERB12
Hurray for Kat who lives in Melbourne, Australia, and blogs at "I Saw You Dancing." and is hosting Reverb12. Pilgrims, I suggest you go there and sign up to blog with others from around the world!

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing inside your home and you at work with one of your kitties alongside you. I can't believe that tiny KINK in her tale made her nearly "unpurchaseable." Crazy stuff.

    I've rescued three pets in the past year and a half. I can't imagine my life without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Julie! I'm glad that you are participating in Reverb12 again this year! I would love to learn more about your rescued pets! Will you be writing about them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovelovelove this post! My own cat Maximus was under the Christmas tree until a few moments ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful name for a cat! Thank you for loving this post about my cat children!

    Are you REVERB12ing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My most significant expenditures were not fun...a new cap on a tooth, and an increase in my house taxes. Sheesh! I'm interpreting significant as most expensive. If I think of significant as impactful, perhaps the money i spent on renting a small unfurnished apt.this summer in my hometown of Rutland VT is the answer, where i made a bedroom into a studio, and painted my brains out for 3 months.

    ReplyDelete